Wednesday, September 21, 2011

So Proud To Be A Modern Family!!

It's already old news that:


1) Modern Family swept the Emmys on Sunday night. Like rolled it with a Hoover and then dust bustered the crumbs people. Amazing.
2) My super awesome and snuggly Aubrey is the new "Lily" on said hit show:





Most moms/parents would be proud of their kid scoring the sweetest job for a 4-yr old in prime time television and I'm no different. I'm so proud that I can hardly contain myself from telling complete strangers at the gas station, the grocery store, public restrooms... but I'm also aware that there is a stereotype of the Hollywood-Showbiz mom and it's not a pretty one so I wanted to take a few minutes to tell you my feelings about this recent life changer and dispel any celebrity gossip. HA!


I have been in this business for over 14 years as a stand up and improv comedian, an actress and writer (...and waitress, dog walker, temp worker...) and I know the ups and downs of this business, the pitfalls and the pleasures. Show business is not for the faint of heart and it is not for most, but there is a special breed of freak who just can't resist the spotlight. I truly believe you are born with this freak gene and my kid seems to have inherited it from me. 


Am I proud? Yes. Am I excited? Yes. Am I a little scared? Of course. But I feel equipped to guide and coach her in her career and be a real mom to her as well. 


So before the rumor mill begins swirling after this initial night of worldwide exposure, here are some tidbits that I have already been asked about a lot already:


1) Aubrey wanted to try out for the show and she was NOT a child actress before this. This was her first time memorizing lines and acting. I had no desire to get her into this business, mainly because I'm pretty busy driving myself to auditions and feeding myself snacks in the car.


2) We are not rich now. As soon as I posted the news that Aubrey had booked the role back in July (?) FB "friends" started making comments about us going on vacations and buying expensive rides, etc. We are still living in our rented town home, driving a 10 yr old mid-sized luxury sedan with lots of scrapes on the bumper (previous owner, thank you very much), clipping coupons and accepting clothing hand-me-downs. Aubrey is making decent money for a four year old, but Ed O'Neill's salary it is not. We are VERY fortunate to be able to plan for her future and right now we are focusing on her well-being, happiness and education. She does attend regular pre-school on days she's not on set.


3) Aubrey's dad and I are not together. We were a couple for several years, but never married and split when she was an infant. We are both involved in her daily life and share responsibility of raising her. We are both very happy about her success but mostly both love being her parents. She's an amazing girl.


4) I am a Korean born adoptee which means Aubrey is half Korean and half caucasian. The Hiller twins (they played Lily seasons 1 & 2) are Filipino and caucasian. So, no one is actually Vietnamese... get over it and there are tons of Asian adoptees who are mixed race. So get over that too.  :)


5) Most importantly, Aubrey loves her work with Modern Family. She truly enjoys the time she spends with the cast and crew and even begs to go see her "tv friends" on days she's not scheduled to work. We have hit the jack pot, not just in the monetary sense (see #2) but with this show. My boyfriend, Lee, and I were devoted fans long before Aubrey booked this role. The show is brilliantly funny with the best writers and I can honestly say that every person we have worked with on the show - cast, crew, admin, execs - kind and wonderful people with good hearts. I think it shows in the product they put out each week, does it not?


We are thrilled to be a part of this amazing show. BEYOND THRILLED and I am so touched by our friends and family who have gotten excited for us, telling everyone they know to tune in! Tonight is the night and life will never be the same for us. I'm not sure that we are ready, but we are grateful. Thanks for coming along on the ride!


MODERN FAMILY
1-Hour Season 3 Premiere
ABC 9/8c
September 21, 2011


12 comments:

  1. You are not only a good mom, you are going to be a good stage mom. Kudos on keeping your feet on the ground.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Am thrilled for you. As Adrienne pointed out, you are doing this for all the right reasons. Can't wait to see Aubrey's debut!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations to Aubrey! How great that she gets a chance to do something she enjoys, and how fun for you too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You crack me up girl - but I guess that's good since it's kinda your job!haha I loved the show tonight. Aubrey is absolutely adorable...although she is awfully mean to babies. Oh yeah...acting. I am sure you'll start to get that too - people who forget she's acting and stop her on the street to ask her what it's like to have gay parents. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow, congratulations. i wish you the best of luck and we LOVE the show, she did great today, we love her character!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was saying this very thing to my mom...that I bet it came through your agent or a show, and that Aubrey is just a natural...because I know you are a Down to Earth person, NOT a 'stage mom', and would seem to me to be a capable and loving mom, and, yes, a 'special kind of freak', born with it... which I believe too, being related to such freaks myself, (and me being a behind the scenes sort of freak in costuming, etc). My mom has been a performer (professional singer) her whole life, and I used to sing before I became a costume designer. My brother Remi was a FOX and CNN reporter, Chris a comedian like you, and my sons are both musicians in bands who LOVE to sing karaoke and are freakishly good at it. So yeah...genes. I'm really happy for you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations! Found your blog through an adoption forum. We are parents to a Chinese American little girl and we LOVE Modern Family. So excited to watch your little girl as she grows up on this brilliant show. Can't wait to follow your blog and get to know you better!

    ReplyDelete
  8. We just got through watching the show...finally! Congrats to Aubrey for doing such a great job. She seems very comfortable. I sure you'll continue to be a great mom both on and off stage. Take care! And go make that girl some pancakes with peanut butter for me. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I hope the new kid that Cam and Mitchell adopt is an Asian boy. Just because the new adoptee is 'American' shouldn't just limit him to being white.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The first time I saw Aubrey's name and picture in Entertainment Weekly, haven't had time to catch up with your blog at that point, I squealed and ran to the computer to check. I'm so excited for you and Aubrey!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I LOVE Modern Family and was so excited to discover this blog post via AngryAsianMan. Congrats to you and your little girl - can't wait to see her on the show!

    ReplyDelete